Monday, February 15, 2010

From Placemats to Pillows!

Are you looking for a quick, easy but impressive gift to give others?  How about adding some pizazz to one of your rooms for under $10? 

This is the quickest way to add a pop of color to any room!  Expertise at sewing - not required!  The next time you are out and about and see some placemats that really catch your eye, check them to see if they have a front and a back - 2 pieces of fabric.  If so, you are set!  Check out what I was able to do:


Supplies:  

Placemat  - $5.99
Seam Ripper
Pins
Scissors
Needle and matching thread
Fiber Fill - Entire bag, $2.50 (but only a small bit is required per pillow)


Use the seam ripper to open up a small section in the placemat.





The trick to using Fiber Fill is to use SMALL little pieces.  If you use larger ones, it will be harder to smooth out the pillow when you are done.  You can use a lot or a little - you can determine how firm or soft you would prefer this pillow.   Make sure to distribute the fiber fill into the corners of the pillow or it will look strange when finished.  I accomplish this by scrunching up the placemat somewhat, and using a pencil to push the fill into the corners.  Be careful not to accidentally enlarge your opening - you really don't need a large opening.


Once you have all the fill in the pillow, use some pins to hold the edges together to get a nice edge when you sew the opening closed.  Use matching thread so that it blends and cannot be seen.......and sew the edges closed following the original seam lines.  With this placemat, I needed to sew 2 seams, but it is hard to see in the photos. 



Here is the finished pillow!  Our couch is a gorgeous red color, and our other chairs are brown.  I wanted to get a brown pillow, but with a pop of color.  When I saw this placemat, I thought it was perfect!


And look what I found at Marshall's during the holidays.  These look like regular "cheater" glasses, but........


They have lights you can turn on!!  These are perfect to help you see in lower light conditions and allow me to read at night in bed without waking my sweety.  I read every night or I cannot fall asleep.  This makes us both happy!

I've been looking for another pair ever since with no luck.  I'm hoping to snag at least one other pair so I don't have to keep carrying these from room to room.  Only hitch is - I want to pay Marshall's pricing (or I would just buy them online)!  lol

I'm linking to:







The Girl Creative





DIY Day @ ASPTL




Photobucket
























Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special













http://www.thethriftyhome.com






giveaways



 



Making

Keeping It Simple







Thanks SO MUCH for visiting!





Share/Bookmark

10 comments:

  1. i need those glasses... lol. mishelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! Allie wants to redo her room and I'm on the lookout for budget ideas since we all know how often a 16 year old will change her mind!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these placemat pillows! So easy peasy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. o my! that placemat one is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea... Your placemats are fantastic! I have some in my stash, but they aren't nearly as cute... :)
    We have a Friday Fun Find party- we'd love it if you'd link up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! I am really shocked how expensive a cute throw pillow can be. This is an affordable way to have something super cute! Thanks for linking!

    Andy
    Poppies at Play

    ReplyDelete
  7. are those seam rippers easy to find in stores??? I want to do this. Great idea!


    www.mommyoffaith19.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea!! Now all I need to do is find a place mat that will match my couch and decor. Thanks for linking to Motivate Me Monday
    Kaysi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pillow turned out great!

    Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the glasses and the pillow! Yay for you finding them!! :0)

    Angie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!