Saturday, June 26, 2010

Plum Upside-Down Pudding Cake


Have you ever seen a recipe in a magazine and you KNEW it would be amazing?  Only to come home and be unable to convince anyone else?  I was in the waiting room for my one-week surgery appointment when I saw this recipe in Coastal Living and the photo just grabbed my attention.  If I were only allowed 5 foods on a deserted island, plums would be one of them.  LOVE plums!



So, I told my husband and got "that" look.  While in Texas, told my mom and while she didn't seem thrilled, she did help me shop for ingredients.  And then my sister flat out said it did not sound good to her.  I was going to take this to the band reunion, but then Andy asked me if I really wanted to take something untried.  PEOPLE!!  I KNEW this would taste amazing, but whatever.   lol

We actually ended up bringing the ingredients home with us - always frugal!  And you know what?  It tastes amazing and guess who loves it?  My husband!!!

Anyhoo...my photos are ridiculous.  First, I forgot to take it out of the pan and make it "upside-down" so by the time I remembered this, it was half gone.  So this will just have to do.  But, if you would like a very mild cake with a bit of tang, you must try this!  Only 1/2 cup sugar in the entire cake! 



Enticed yet?  Here's what you need to know:

Prep: 15 minutes  Cook: 25 minutes  Cool: 30 minutes

Makes 8 servings


Ingredients

4 small red or black plums, sliced
1/2 cup sugar, divided
1 TBS. fresh lemon juice
3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole or lowfat buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 TBS. unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Sweetened whipped cream

Preparation
1.  Combine plums, 1 TB. sugar, lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp. kosher salt in a bowl, tossing gently.
2.  Grease sides and bottom of a 9-inch cast iron skillet or deep dish pie pan.  Cover bottom with plum slices, overlapping slightly.
3.  Whisk together eggs, remaining sugar, buttermilk, vanilla and butter until well-blended.
4.  Combine flour, baking powder and remaining 1/2 tsp. kosher salt, whisk into egg mixture.  Pour batter over fruit.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool in pan 30 minutes.  
5.  Run tip around edge of cake to loosen.  Invert onto a platter, and serve with whipped cream.

Let me know if you try this and what you think.  This is so good, it could be for dessert, for a breakfast cake.....very mild and not too sweet at all.  I think that is why hubby loves it.

Have a glorious day!


Share/Bookmark

0 Thoughts:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!