Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vulnerability

Vulnerability.  Likely not your favorite word, eh?  I was cruising around marriage blogs the other day and ran across a post with this video from Dr. Brene' Brown, someone I have never heard of.  Her presentation SO moved me, I have shown to each son and hubby, individually.  Along with my own viewing, I've seen it 6 times now AND I looked her up and watched other videos. 

Dr. Brene' Brown is a gifted speaker and all the guys enjoyed her presentation.  Vulnerability and Belonging.  What does that mean?  What does it entail?

I was intrigued when she said most people NUMB their vulnerability.  Proof?  We are the most

  • In debt
  • Obese
  • Addicted
  • Medicated
and
  • Busy Busy Busy (from another video)

of any cohort in American History.  And she's right.  No one likes to feel vulnerable.  But what to do about it?  Check out these videos and ponder.......





Here is another short one detailing Shame and Empathy - excellent!



A few more video excerpts HERE.

Have you ever asked your family to watch a video for discussion?  Normally, we do this together.  But this time, I wanted to spend individual time with the boys and get their unbiased opinion.  It was a heartening time spent together with the boys not only watching with rapt attention BUT chatting with me for 20+ minutes afterward.  Having recently found out all 3 guys are Alexithymic (a state of deficiency in understanding, processing, or describing emotions), this video was timely.  To get an idea how alexithymia works, here is an online quiz:

Do you or someone you know have no words for moods?  Check out this quiz:

Alexithymia Online Quiz

Love your feedback on the videos - was it as enlightening to you as it was to me?

Have a glorious day!


Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

  1. What you're saying is completely true. I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand. I'm sure you'll reach so many people with what you've got to say.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!