Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Marriage - good or bad?

Marriages are on my mind these days, like a burden I guess. With all the news about "celebrity" marriage issues.........it can make one wonder - what is up with marriages today?? Are there any happily married folks left in the world? Or does everyone just give up and move on? "Grass is greener" type of mentality.

Our marriage is a testimony to staying together through all kinds of trials and tribulations and I can easily say that we love each other more now today THAN ever before in our 22 years. It seems like each year, the love just intensifies. Only God knew what He had in mind when he let these 2 got together. We met and married in less than 8 months! This photo was taken in 1987. I thought it was a photo from dating but I see a ring on his finger. lol Isn't it amazing we still look like this? lmbo


And I know some of you young marrieds (at whatever age) can't imagine what it might be like after 20+ years, when the kids are almost grown (in our case). But it's awesome. Keeping your sights on God and striving to be your husband's 'help meet' is the greatest gift you can give him.

I saw this quote today and it stopped me in my tracks. Powerful.

"However, let each man of you [without exception] love his wife as [being in a sense] his very own self; and let the wife see that she respects and reverences her husband [that she notices him, regards him, honors him, prefers him, venerates, and esteems him; and that she defers to him, praises him, and loves and admires him exceedingly]." Ephesians 5:33, Amplified Bible

I've never read the Amplified Bible and hadn't seen it written this way. Read that passage slowly, soaking in every word.

Are you your husband's help meet?

Cheri Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I agree. Celebs change spouses like shoes - and some "regular" people do the same. My husband and I married when we were 19 (although I don't recommend that and I've told my boys they can't get married until they're 25, at least)! People give up to easily. . . my husband is my sole mate and best friend and over the last 18 years we've been through alot, but not one time has divorce ever crossed our minds. Over all these years, we've grown up together and grown closer instead of apart! And, my grandparents will celebrate their 60th this year and my parents just celebrated their 41st! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that post! I appreciated reading that version of Ephesians. Good to think about. I, like you, was SO blessed to marry an amazing man. I guess we're pretty new at it, going on 6 years. It has just gotten better so far. :) Beautiful family, Cheri. You deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!