Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gorgeous Hat with Large Flower

You guys.........I am in LOVE!!!!!!!!  Every chance I get, I walk through stores that sell yarn, picking every skein up trying to find the SOFTEST yarn out there.  (I have very distinct textural issues.....can't handle anything NOT soft......).    I ran across this yarn in Dallas at a Hobby Lobby (have to check mine here in TN to see if they also carry it) - Premier Yarns Serenity Chunky Weight in Parachute Purple and Rhododendron.  I had no idea what I was going to use it for, but I pictured them together.  

Look what I decided to make!!!!!!









Isn't this to die for??  I am just a purple fanatic......

OK, but here's the nitty.  You know my trials and tribulations with stitch gauge if you've been reading my crochet posts and this was no exception.   When I finished the hat, it was way too long.  I considered rolling the edge up to make a cuff and permanently tacking it down, like this:



But I just kept looking at it and I wondered......could I get my scissors out, snip the ends and pull out a few rows and do something different?  I went for it - I pulled out the last 2 rows of purple yarn and decided to do the pink on the very last stitch edge in single crochet.......and it worked!! 


I am SO happy I took the risk!!!  

This hat was intended to be a hat with a ribbon bow.........but instead of doing the only "triple crochet" row in the hat, I kept up with the double crochet and then added my own large bow.  



Pattern I used for the large flower:

(flowers at bottom of pattern instructions)

Yes, this was supposed to be child-sized.  HA!  I wonder how small of a hook I will have to use to get MY stitching to end up child-sized???   But I LOVE LOVE LOVE this hat - it is SO soft.  I will definitely be wearing this with my beloved purple coat next winter......(and this cracks my family up because I am NEVER cold, but I will wear this like I am!)

Grey scarf not mine and of course, I will have to make myself a coordinating scarf!  
Purchased at Stein Mart....Peck & Peck Collection.
I may be linking to THESE parties.



Share/Bookmark

25 comments:

  1. That is one of my problems too getting the gauge right. That is a very cute hat and a good idea to pull out a few rows. Knitting is my love at the moment because I'm just doing dish cloths. I have a cute scarf pattern picked out to make for my granddaughter soon. Have fun wearing your new hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! Another purple fanatic! I thought I was the only one. Your hat is so cute - I've never done front post triple crochet. It almost looks like ribbing.
    Don't you love how easy it is to frog crochet work? Only one loop to put back on the hook!

    P.S. That coat is to die for. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful hat! I'm a big purple fan too!
    Great photos too! :)

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked the hat! adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This hat is so cute. I'm looking to make a hat for my son- just not not pink or purple or with a flower on it. Sometimes I think it would just be easier if he would wear flowers. Come link this to my new party goobyecityhellosuburbs

    ReplyDelete
  6. DARLING. . .I love your hat and coat!
    You should have modeled them for us!
    I look like such a dork in hats, I would
    love to wear them though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hiya , gorgeous hat , i wish could crochet
    tfs am visiting from amaze me monday and your newest follower , hope you pop by mine and follow me too
    xmaggiex

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hat is super sassy and I love the colors.

    Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice work on the hat. It has a lovely shape. I'm glad you took a chance on your solution to the length issue. I'm a bit jealous of your purple coat - no wonder you love it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The hat is beautiful! I love the colors (the flower is darling. I love to knit for my son, but I don't think he would appreciate this much :)
    New follower!
    Hope you can stop by for a visit at http://willcookforsmiles.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the hat! And it is even more special because now we know how you got it to look so fabulous in the pictures. :-) Thanks for linking this up to Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I LOVE that you took such a risk, with fabulous results! Seriously inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Cheri you are so talented! I can only crochet in strait lines lol. Do you have a shop? I love these hats! I would love to have you share this at my VIP party this weekend =) http://designergarden.blogspot.com/2011/04/vip-party-10.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, what talent and great colors! Thanks for sharing at Beyond The Picket Fence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very sweet! I wish my head wan't so darn huge, I would be wearing one of these all the time!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This little hat is ADORABLE!!! We loved it so much we featured it today in our feature post from Fancy This Fridays!!! Hope you'll check it out and grab a featured button! :) http://trulylovelywiththelaneysisters.blogspot.com/2011/04/fancy-this-features-edition-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am addicted to purple and plum as well...love that coat!

    Thanks for sharing your ideas at Creative Juice...hope to see you back this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking to Workshop wednesday! I too have a soft texture issue- not soft then it's an issue! I hope you link up your lastest creation to Workshop Wednesday goobyecityhellosuburbs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just LOVE your take on the hat! Thank you so much for the link back to the pattern! I hope you enjoy your hat, how could you not, it is absolutely beatiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!