Wednesday, April 13, 2011

WIP Wednesday

I wanted to title this "Trials and Tribulations of Cheri versus the Washcloth - A Revisit to Stitch Gauging Issues".  Ha!

My regular readers are probably yawning right now..........yeah yeah yeah.  But I now can offer you photographic evidence of said "stitch gauging issues".

This, my dearies, is supposed to be a RECTANGLULAR Wash cloth.  And it is definitely NOT.
But guess what?  My stitch count is PERFECT.

What then causes this?  Well, in THIS case, my beginning chain was way too tight compared to the rest of my stitches.  Hence, we have a narrower bottom and the top just spreads and spreads.   Do you know how many times I have convinced myself I am adding stitches when I have not?  lol  Even blocking won't fix this mess.

I wanted to use up the rest of this yarn, and decreased the pattern by 4 repeats, chaining only 33 instead of the recommended 45.  




I found THIS free pattern and it is really easy.  I was able to take this with us running errands and actually crochet in the car.  Loved that.  

As I've shared, I have very unmedicated ADHD and just cannot sit and be happy. I have to be doing something - usually playing games on my phone.  But now, something more productive - crochet!!

So, my new WIP is another washcloth.  I DELIBERATELY loosely crocheted the chain, to match my other stitches.  But guess what!!!!!!!!  Now this one is arching the other way - my chain is too loose!  Grrrr.......  I pulled it all out and started again....so here we go.

The pattern for this baby washcloth is HERE.


But at the end of the day, I LOVE LOVE LOVE crochet.  If I could get my stitch gauging under control, my dreams of opening a shop on Etsy may be realized.  Until then, there is no way I could do something "to order".  At this point, there is never any telling what size something will turn out.  lol

So much fun!





Share/Bookmark

23 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I don't suppose you know why it is my large granny squares keep coming out skewed? The first 4-5 rows are always nice and straight but after that things go awry...

    Loving your blog!

    xh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there - you have lovely stitches but yea, tension is kinda important too... At least for dishcloths if you can get your tension spot on, then gauge doesn't matter (gauge is important for wearables). I would suggest using 1 hook larger for your chain, then switching over to a smaller hook for the rest of the piece. It may help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Cheri! Your doing great! Don't get discouraged...if I could offer a suggestion..I'm teaching my 15 yr old to crochet and she had the same problem. I had her go up one hook size for her chain, then back down to required hook size for the stitching..this helped her out a great deal :) I hope it helps you as well..take carexxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your washcloth is wonderful even if it isn't perfect in your eyes. I find that stress really affects my gauge. I have to consciously make myself relax to get a consistent gauge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh the colours in that washcloth are so pretty - it must be annoying when your gauge is off....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My gauge changes all the time, with knitting and crochet. It's so frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know we're always our own worst critics, but I think you're doing great! I tried crochet when I was in my teens and mastered one long chain stitch and that was that! I just lost interest. Don't know if I could ever do it now with all the neuro crap in my wrists and hands, but it might be worth a try...

    BTW, I'm loving the new look of your blog! Hope you and "your boys" are all doing well and having a great Spring!

    XOXO
    ~Mrs B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're not giving up -- you'll soon get the hang of the gauge. Your stitches already look very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mum used to have that problem! She once made me a rabbit which was very cute...she then made my friend one following the same pattern...it wa slike 3 times bigger :-P

    I love the colours of yarn you have chosen :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors. I usually have the exact opposite problem - I start too lose and end up too tight. It's one of those endlessly frustrating things, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have the same problem with knitting sometimes, my gauge grows as I relax after starting a project. Seems like washcloths are a great project to learn on. Yours look good to me even if they aren't a perfect rectangle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your color choices! Wish I could crochet :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm starting to think I may have ADHD too, to some degree. Sitting like a lump in front of the television used to placate me but now if I'm not at my computer, or knitting or crocheting (or writing) while watching TV, I go crazy.

    Anyway, I feel your pain about gauge issues. Throughout a project, mine seems fairly consistent but when I line up the top edge with the bottom, it's really obvious my cast on (or chain) is much tighter than the rest. I think I'm going to start my projects with needles or hooks a size larger and see if that helps. (HA.)

    I absolutely LOVE the last 3 photos of the washcloth, btw. The pattern is beautiful and photographs so nicely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there! It just takes practice!! I love yarn you used in your washcloth!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Cheri! I just stumbled on your blog. And uneven stitch or not, I am still super impressed! I tried to crochet once and got very, very confused, so I really admire people like you who can just do it wherever, whenever (like in the car =).
    Love your choice of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cheri, my foundation row used to come out too tight also. Maybe try using the next size up hook, just for the chains. See if that helps until you get the gauge down.

    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Sewing Daisies
    Sewing Daisies, if your granny square is coming out ruffled I may be able to help. Here is a post I did about how to get your shape to lay flat.
    http://www.ambassadorcrochet.com/2010/09/getting-your-shape-to-lay-flat.html
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks so neat!! I love the color combination too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cheri, I'm new at crocheting, so I completely understand your frustrations. I just relax, and pull out my stitches and start over if I have to. I found that weaving the yarn through my fingers like I'm threading a sewing machine helps with guage. When I first started a few months ago, I held the yarn between two fingers... pinching them together. Now, I wrap the yarn around my pink finger, over my pointer finger, and hold the yarn between the middle and pointer fingers. I found this really helped me keep my gauge in check. Keep trying, though.. you'll get it! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love crocheting/knitting washcloths so I totally understand where you're coming from. They're great ways to learn new stitches and have a travel project.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That happens to me all the time, especially in crochet.

    Visiting from WIP Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Keep at it Cheri- you are doing amazing. Consistent gauge was the hardest thing for me to learn... part of the reason I quit as a kid and didn't start again until I was an "adult"!

    The photos you are taking in your lightbox are fantastic by the way. Love the different angles you've been getting of each item, makes a washcloth more interesting when it's shot your way!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your lovely comments!